Sunday, April 13, 2014

The best advice I have received as a Mother

     As I was growing restless getting up with Sage many times in the night and I was feeling tired of rocking her to sleep every night I wondered if I should try the "cry-it-out" method.  Ya know that method of when you let your baby cry him/herself to sleep.
     When I first heard of that option I am not going to lie, I thought it was the rudest thing anyone could ever do to a baby, but as time went on I was beginning to think it wouldn't be so bad.  I was low on sleep, I was growing impatient, and I was desperate.  So I decided to try it.  Now when I say I decided to "try" it, I was going about it all wrong!!!  I have learned that when it comes to something like that, you either do it, or you don't do it.  "Trying it"  is the mean part.
     Let me explain a little better by sharing my experience "trying it".  The first night I decided to "try it", Sage probably cried for 2 or more hours (I am really unsure, I think my brain has blocked that experience out just a little bit) and I felt awful!  I felt like the worst Mother ever.  So the next night I decided to rock her to sleep.  After a few more nights of that and getting up several times in the night, I decided to "try" the crying out method again.  We did that for a couple nights and then I once again felt like a horrible person and decided to rock her to sleep again, ...okay so I hope you get the point.  "Trying it" is mean.  I should have just decided I was going to do it and never rock her to sleep again or I should have just kept rocking her and learned to be patient.
     Well since I was feeling like an awful person making her cry it out, and a tired impatient person rocking her to sleep, I decided to pray about it.  I figured the Lord would let me know which way was best and I of course didn't think he agreed with the cry it out method.  What happened surprised me a lot.  After praying about it the words came to my mind, "it doesn't matter, just choose something and be consistent with it."
    That really amazed me and I realized that was so true!  As a Mother, I just received the best advice I had ever been given.  I needed to not worry what everyone's opinions were or advice of what is wrong or right.  What I ultimately needed to do is decide what was best for Sage and I and be consistent with it.
      Another great thing I learned from that experience is to pattern my parenting after the best parent of all, my Heavenly Father.  He is consistent, He has given me the knowledge between right and wrong, He praises me when I don't feel deserving of praise, He corrects me with love, He holds my hand but does not take my trials from me, He has made me stronger, and I love Him.  I am so grateful that even though I am just one small person in His life, He still takes time to answer my prayers and give me advise.


Love,
    Becky joy

No comments:

Post a Comment